Well – issue 1# is complete, and I am excited. I’m doubly excited because I’ll be tabling for the first time at the Supanova Cultural expo! I finally have product to sell, so I am getting out there in these early days and am gonna try my hand at it. All part of this grand experiment, I guess. I could fail, I could sell out. I’ll be in the artist’s alley at the Sydney venue, June 17-19 at the Dome Olympic Park. For those of you in Sydney who are thinking of coming for the first time, catch the train there. It’s the easiest way, because as you exit the station, you’ll immediately see the cues of cosplayers and know where the entrance is. I hope to see you there! Come say hi, hang out. I got a 1.8m table and I’m gonna be sketching original art, selling copies of Pandeia, the Steampunk anthology, and the original short from the anthology, Data Point.
I’ve spent the past week working on the cover, and now it’s complete:
I took the time to document the process, so I’ll be releasing the videos on processdiary.com in the coming weeks.
I experimented a little, trying some things I knew in principle – symmetry, use of values, point of focus – design elements I’d taught about, could pick out in a line up, but now had to utilize consciously. I’m quite happy with it; I know its not perfect, but it shall stand as a good example of this stage in my artistic evolution.
I am preparing the remaining pages for submission to Ka-Blam. I’m gonna try them out. So far, everything I’ve seen from these guys has been very good in quality, and the price is still unbeatable, which means I’ll be able to sell the items at a nice, low price and still recoup some of the other costs (such as the table and signage). I’ll definitely be reporting on the expo after it takes place.
In the meantime, I’m gearing up to commence work on chapter 2 of Pandeia. It’s currently a change to introduce an onslaught of new characters, so I’m being careful to space those scenes out with plenty of story and set up. This first chapter has set the standard at 22 pages, so now every following issue will take on that format for consistency.